The commissioner for the Social Security Administration recently announced five additional conditions that are now part of the agency’s Compassionate Allowances program. This program allows agency representatives to quickly process the claims of individuals afflicted with illnesses that qualify for disability benefits. Advocates for disabled individuals in California are optimistic regarding the report.

The five conditions that now qualify individuals to have their Social Security disability benefits claims expedited include secondary adenocarcinoma of the brain, desmoplastic small round cell tumors, both infantile and juvenile forms of GM1 gangliosidosis, Rubinstein-Tybai syndrome and Nicolaides-Baraister Syndrome.

The commissioner says that serving the public is the top priority of the SSA. He explains that improvement to the disability process is a large part of the administration’s service to the public. The commissioner says that Compassionate Allowance programs help people who are already likely to receive disability benefits enjoy a process that is both faster and more efficient.

Due to the severe nature of the illnesses included as part of the Compassionate Allowances program, a diagnosis is often the only criteria needed to facilitate Compassionate Allowance claims. More than 600,000 Americans have had their disability claims expedited through this process, and 242 illnesses fall under the program.

The commissioner explains that the agency makes use of the most current technology available to identify individuals eligible for the Compassionate Allowances program. The Health IT used by the SSA allows the agency to make accurate determinations regarding program eligibility not long after the initial receipt of an individual’s medical records.

Individuals who suffer from illnesses and injuries that affect their abilities to earn a living or complete their day-to-day activities will likely need some assistance. Disabled individuals with questions regarding Social Security disability benefits may find the answers they need by speaking with an attorney.