As an immigrant in the United States, you might have mixed emotions about reporting any challenges you face. And if you suffer due to someone’s harmful acts, you could feel as though there is nothing you can do.

However, that is not necessarily the case. In some circumstances, you might be eligible for a U-Visa. Depending on the specifics of your situation, this would provide you the ability to live in the U.S. for four years and earn an income. But do you know what would make you eligible?

Three legal conditions you must meet

In order to be considered for a U-Visa, there are certain requirements you must meet. These are:

  • Are you a victim of criminal activity? Certain crimes committed against you could make you eligible for a U-Visa. Such acts might include forcibly doing work that you do not want to do, harassment from your family members and assault, such as mugging.
  • How much help have you provided the police? Helping a law enforcement officer (LEO) might include calling 911, answering a LEO’s questions and testifying in court.
  • Have you suffered physical or emotional harm? If you had to seek medical attention or miss work due to your injuries, you are in pain or therapy is necessary, you have been hurt.

Additionally, if you entered the U.S. illegally or have committed a crime, you might need to ask the government for a waiver in order to remain in the country. You may also need to provide medical records to support your claims.

Although the process takes time, it could provide you the opportunity to stay in America longer. And in some cases, a U-Visa could help you become eligible for permanent residency.